Your baby is changing & growing day by day from the start of the first trimester & your body needs to cope up with that. Just like each Baby is different so is each Mommy. Each one has their own experiences that they undergo during each of the trimester or the whole 9 months of pregnancy. During the first trimester, some might have symptoms like nausea, tiredness, breast tenderness, cravings etc. Again each pregnancy is different. You may or may not have each & every symptom.
Just to tell you my experience, throughout my trimester I did not have any symptoms of nausea or cravings in my first trimester during both my pregnancies. But one of my friends had a very bad problem of nausea in her first trimester of pregnancy. So, you see there are no compulsory symptoms as such apart from tenderness in breasts & fatigue.
Try not to panic or take stress. In your first trimester, give your body a good rest, relax & do those activities which make you happy. A happy mom can keep her baby & family happy.
And to keep the Mommy happy & healthy we have some of to-do list of tasks during each trimester which we will go through one by one
1. Start taking Folic Acid tablets. Some might also need to take Vitamin D tablets
Folic Acid Benefits:
- plays a major role in protecting your unborn baby from neural tube defects such as spina bifida in the first 12 weeks of your pregnancy.
- reducing the risk of congenital heart defects, gestational diabetes and preterm labour
- helps in preventing some birth defects
Note: Before taking the tablets, do check with your mid-wife or GP the amount of folic acid & Vitamin D to be taken.
2. Start a healthy pregnancy diet.
Think of which food items should be consumed & which food items should be avoided
Food items to be avoided:
- Raw, undercooked or contaminated sea food, meat, poultry & eggs
- Avoid seafood with high mercury content
- Unpasteurized foods like unpasteurized milk, unpasteurized cheese or unpasteurized juice
- Avoid excess amounts of caffeine
- It is best to avoid alcohol
- It is not a healthy practice to eat unwashed vegetables
Food items to be had during pregnancy:
- Fruits – Have different variety of fruits which provide good amount of vitamins, minerals & fibre
- Vegetables – Green leafy vegetables should be had in good quantity so as to get good amount of fibre, Vitamins A, B, C, E & K and also abundance of potassium magnesium and calcium.
- Oily fish is good as it provides for good amount of vitamins, minerals & protein
- Starchy foods like bread, pasta, rice
- Dairy products like milk, yogurt & cheese contain calcium needed for you & your unborn baby
3. Have a healthy lifestyle by avoiding alcohol & smoking
Old habits die hard. And some are just very difficult to quit. But for a healthy mom & baby you need to give up on alcohol & smoking. That’s a must.
4. Start some pregnancy friendly exercise
It’s a myth that you cannot or should not exercise during pregnancy. Exercising during pregnancy not only keeps you fit but also helps you during labour & delivery. It refreshes your mind. Also there are various forms of exercise that one can do like yoga, pilates and swimming. You can also go for brisk walk. Just to be sure, it is always better to consult with your doctor & check the kind of exercises that you can do.
5. Find about various tests & scans that will be required & their timelines
Do check with your GP or mid-wife what tests & scans are required & when they are due. Do jot them in your calendar. You do not want to miss any of them. Also do check if you need to take flu or whooping cough vaccination.
6. Check on a dental appointment
Do make your dental appointment in case you have bleeding gums due to build up of plague on your teeth. During pregnancy, the hormonal changes tend to make the gums vulnerable to plague.
7. Book on your ante natal classes early on (I had missed mine, so don’t neglect. Book before they run out of slots.)
These classes give you loads of information relating to your pregnancy, baby, & hospital routines for labour & birth.
8. Try to relax & stay hydrated.
It is very important that you keep yourself hydrated as lot of water is flushed out of your body due to frequent urinations during pregnancy. Rest as much as possible. Try meditation & listening to harmonious & soothing music. The sound of soothing music has a positive impact on your baby. I used to listen to different kind of music like Garbh Sanskaar, devotional songs & meditational music.
For Garbh Sanskaar Music (Soothing music for your unborn baby) check out this link
So do you feel much relaxed now? Lets see what Second Trimester has in store for you.
Friends, if you find the above information useful, do share with your friends & family who might benefit from this information.
Also let me know about your experiences & what do you feel about my blog by commenting in the comments section. If you want to email me your feedback or want to just drop me a hello & a message feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
All your comments, suggestions & messages are welcome ????????